Spot Prawn Cobb Salad
This is a variation of the original salad created in 1937 at the Hollywood Derby restaurant. This tasty colourful Cobb salad features local spot prawns.
Author: From Neil Wyles, executive chef/owner, Hamilton Street Grill
- Dijon mustard vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon and 11/2 teaspoon grainy Dijon mustard
- 11/2 teaspoon smooth Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Cobb salad:
- 3 spot prawns, shells on but heads removed
- ½ avocado
- 3 cups organic mixed salad greens, chilled
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard vinaigrette
- 2 ounces Poplar Grove Tiger Blue cheese or your favourite, room temperature, crumbled
- 1 large heirloom tomato, in ¼-inch dice or 12 teardrop or grape tomatoes
- 2 large eggs, hard-boiled and peel, in ¼-inch dice
- 4 slices bacon or pancetta, diced and cooked until crisp
- Vinaigrette: Combine vinegar, mustards, honey and salt in food processor or blender at high speed for 30 seconds. With motor running, slowly add canola and olive oils in steady stream, then process for another 30 seconds. Refrigerate until needed.
- Cobb salad: Preheat broiler or barbecue to 450 F. Place the prawns about 4 inches from the heat and grill until they are just firm and pink, 11/2 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Shell prawns, leaving tails on.
- Peel avocado and cut into ½-inch slices. In large bowl, gently toss green with the vinaigrette.
- To serve: Arrange the salad greens on an oval-shaped serving plate. Keeping each ingredient separate, lay neat rows of blue cheese, tomatoes, avocado, spot prawns, egg and bacon on top of the greens. Serve immediately.