Sambal Drunken Prawns
Author: Tina Fineza, executive chef, consultant Flying Tiger, Les Faux Bourgeois, La Taqueria
- 18 B.C. spot prawns, deveined, tails on, heads optional
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) shallots, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sambal oelek
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola/extra virgin olive oil blend
- Cilantro, chopped
- Add the oil to a sauté pan on medium to high heat. Add the garlic and shallots and sauté for 5 minutes, then add the Shaoxing wine to deglaze the pan.
- Continue cooking for 1½ minutes, then add the sambal oelek and sugar and cook for another 30 seconds, before adding the prawns. The prawns will require no more than 1-1½ minutes to cook, during which time the butter should be added to emulsify the sauce. Once the prawns are cooked, remove them from the pan and reduce the remaining liquid down by half, pouring the sticky remains over the prawns on the serving dish. Garnish with the cilantro and serve immediately.