Braised morels with spot prawn mousse
Author: Bill Jones, Deerholme Farm
- 8 dried morel mushrooms
- ½ lb (250 g) spot prawns, peeled
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) garlic clove
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp (5 mL) light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL)` prawn stock (or cider)
- 1 cup (250 mL) prawn head stock
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped mushrooms (morels, button, etc)
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) miso paste
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) tapioca starch
- (mixed with water)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the mushrooms in a heat-proof bowl cover with boiling hot water and set aside. Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the prawns, garlic, hot sauce, sesame, soy and prawn stock. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag with a narrow round tip (or use a plastic bag with the tip cut off.
- Remove the mushrooms from the soaking liquid and gently squeeze dry. Place the mushrooms on a plate lined with paper towel. Take each mushroom and fill with the prawn mixture.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium high, add the stock, mushrooms and miso paste. Simmer for 5 minutes then thicken with the tapioca starch. Add the morels and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate with rice or Korean-style greens (or both) serve immediately.