BC Spot Prawn and Pickled Carrot & Daikon Salad Rolls
Author: Junior Chef, Tina Tang, The Grapevine Restaurant at Gray Monk Estate Winery
Recipe type: Starter or light meal
- 1 lb rice noodles
- package of rice paper
- 1 lb B.C. Spot Prawns
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tsp of salt
- ¼ cup of melted butter
- ¼ cup cucumber, julienned
- fresh cilantro
- ½ cup green cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 red Thai chili
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup unsalted crushed roasted peanuts
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 5 peppercorns
- ¼ carrot
- ¼ daikon, julienned
- Once you have your Mise En Place the salad rolls are super simple! Start with each part of the rolls separately. See below.
- Place noodles in a bowl and pour hot boiled water until just submerged. Rest for 5 minutes then strain. Noodles should be firm and hold their shape but be fully cooked. Once strained, add a tablespoon of lukewarm water to prevent the noodles from sticking to each other.
- Pour lukewarm water into a medium sized bowl. Dip the rice paper in the water and rotate until the water has covered all the edges and the middle. Place on a plate and let sit for 1-2mins until flexible.
- To cook the B.C. Spot Prawns, bring water, salt and butter to boil. Add prawns (skin on) and turn off heat. Let sit for 3 minutes. Strain, peel and cut lengthwise. 3 halves per roll.
- To prepare the pickled carrots and diakon bring rice vinegar, sugar, peppercorns to a boil and pour over the julienne carrots and daikon. Let sit for 2 minutes and strain.
- To make a B.C. Spot Prawn roll begin with a piece of rice paper that has been dipped in the water. Add a small handful of rice noodles, a few of the julienned cucumber and cabbage along with the pickled carrot and daikon. Add prawns and two sprigs of cilantro. Roll like a wrap. Make sure it is tight, but be gentle; the rice paper is very fragile. Cut into 3 and serve with the peanut sauce. In case the rice paper breaks: Just add another rice paper later.
- Honey, Bird Chili Peanut Sauce:
- Heat the peanut butter, honey, soya sauce, water and rice vinegar in small saucepan until mixture is well combined. The consistency should be thinner then regular peanut butter but not runny. Add the minced chili and keep pot on low heat until ready to serve. Add roasted peanuts right below serving. Serve peanut sauce at room temperate or slightly warm.
- Enjoy with Gray Monk Estate Winery’s 2011 Gewurztraminer bursting with a fresh and crisp finish!