Sushi Salad Bowl
Sushi salad can be served with the rice warm or chilled. Create it on a Sunday night and divide into containers for a couple days worth of lunches.
Author: By Heather McColl RD, blogger at http://freshsheetnutrition.com/
- 2 cups brown rice
- 3-3/4 cups water
- 1 cucumber, quartered
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 nori sheets, cut into cubes
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ to 1 pound of fresh Spot Prawns, shells removed and tail left on
- Combine water and rice in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer gently for about 45 minutes or until all water is absorbed. If serving this salad chilled, allow rice to cool slightly, and then spread rice out on a baking sheet and cool in the refrigerator. If serving warm, fluff with a fork and cover with a lid to keep warm.
- In a serving bowl or platter, combine rice, cucumber, carrot, avocado and nori seaweed. If you like your nori seaweed crunchy, add it just before serving.
- To make the dressing, combine orange juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar and brown sugar in a bowl. Whisk until sugar is dissolved. Drizzle over salad and toss to mix gently. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Heat a little olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the spot prawns and saute until prawns are opaque and pink, about 2-3 minutes. Top sushi salad with sauteed spot prawns and enjoy.